Design thinking is a powerful innovation process to unlock user needs and build future products.
Design thinking is a process that uses a designer’s sensibility to find unmet needs and opportunities to create new solutions that matter to people. The objective is to involve consumers, designers and businesspeople in an integrative process, which can be applied to product, service or even business design. It is a tool to imagine future states and to bring products, services and experiences to market.
In short, design thinking is a methodology to enable innovation. It does this by:
- Supporting the build-up of ideas and priorities
- Taking risks at early stages
- Eliminating the fear of failure
- Deeply understanding the customer and their goals, behaviors and attitudes
- Testing ideas early on to gain immediate feedback
- Challenging a product or services usability, feasibility and perceived value
While businesses typically focus on metrics and analytics, the focus of design thinking is primarily on human-centered goals and invention.